The words “apple pie” conjure warmth, aroma, taste, and togetherness. Start your new family tradition with this delicious apple pie recipe.
Easy Pastry Alternatively you can use 400g short pastry
• 225g plain flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• pinch of salt
• 2 tsp sugar
• 115g butter, cold and finely diced
• 1 egg yolk
• 2-3 Tbsp cold water
• ¼ tsp cinnamon
• 1 dessert spoon of flour
• 75g brown sugar
• 2 large baking apples e.g. ballarat, braeburn or Granny Smith peeled
• 1 Tbsp milk or cream to glaze
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add sugar and butter, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Make a well in the centre.
2. Mix egg yolk with a couple tablespoons of water. Add to the dry ingredients with the remaining tablespoon of water. Using a butter knife, mix the egg and water into the flour until the mixture forms large clumps. You may need to add a little more water depending on the moisture in the flour.
3. Tip the dough onto a floured surface, pat together with floured hands. Don’t over work the dough — work quickly.
4. Roll out into a large circle of dough about 1.5mm thick. Roll the dough outwards away from you in quick strokes. Place onto a piece of waxed paper or directly onto a greased oven tray with sides.
5. Add cinnamon, flour and sugar to a large bowl. Core and finely slice the apples, adding to the bowl as you cut them. Toss the apples in the sugar mixture. Tip into the centre of the pastry.
6. Fold the pastry around the apples and crimp the edges together to hold the apples. Brush pastry with milk to glaze.
7. Bake in preheated to 215 °C for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden. Remove from oven and cover with cloth for 10 minutes to rest before cutting and serving.